Saturday, September 25, 2010

Being Objective

Pronoun Use Not So Subjective


Nothing grates me quite as much as improper pronoun usage. Well, okay, quite a few things grate me that much, but that’s not to say I’m not seriously irritated by the confusion of subject and object pronouns.

Object what? Who’s objecting?

I am, my friends.  I am objecting to the use of object pronouns in place of subject pronouns and vice versa. Let me clear up those definitions for you before we move on: object pronouns are used as the objects (often of prepositions) in a sentence, while subject pronouns are, fittingly, the subjects of sentences or clauses.

Here’s an abbreviated list of the most common pronouns in each category:

subject pronouns                               object pronouns
I, he, she, they, we, it, who                 me, him, her, them, us, it, whom

And here’s the reason I need to write this column:

Her and I are going to the mall.
I need to go with he and Becky.
Me and him are leaving for Grammar Camp. (And boy, do they need it!)

I could go into a lengthy diatribe about how subject and object pronouns are to be used, but for the sake of ease and column length, here’s the quick-and-dirty reference: if you’re using two pronouns or a pronoun with a noun, take one out to determine which one to use.

I realize that makes no sense.  Here’s what I mean:

You want to say that you’re going somewhere with someone.  Take yourself (or the other person) out of the equation to determine the pronoun. In the first sentence above, you wouldn’t say, “Her is going to the mall,” so you also don’t say, “Her and I are going to the mall.” The I is correct.  Sentence two highlights the opposite problem: “I need to go with he,” would almost certainly never cross your lips. The final sentence has both pronouns wrong (and in the incorrect order, but that’s a different lesson); it should be, “He and I are leaving for Grammar Camp.”

Thankfully, most people only make these errors when using two or more pronouns or pronouns in conjunction with nouns, so this handy reference rule works out most of the kinks for most people.  If you regularly use the incorrect pronoun all by itself (him is going to the park or I gave it to she), and it sounds correct to you, I’m not certain a column in a weekly newspaper is enough help for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment